What really matters is whether 8 key things have occurred in your relationship. Before you decide to become exclusive with someone and close yourself off to other dating prospects, make sure the following 8 things have happened first:
2. You're both comfortable talking to each about your feelings, needs, fears, goals, dreams for the future, and so on. If you're too afraid to bring these things up with him, then it's too early to be thinking about going exclusive with him.
3. You and he have similar core values, lifestyles, and relationship goals. If you're not compatible in any of these areas (or you haven't discussed them with him yet), don't become exclusive with him!
4. Your partner has repeatedly demonstrated that he’s reliable and can be counted on. He calls when he says he will. He keeps his promises and honors his commitments. If something comes up, he lets you know and doesn’t leave you hanging. He lives his life in a sensible and responsible manner. He doesn’t engage in reckless or abusive behavior.
5. You feel like you can trust him. He makes you feel safe and secure in your relationship. (And of course, you must do the same for him!)
6. There is mutual concern for each other’s needs, feelings, and overall well-being.
7. You and your partner are seeing each other on a steady basis (once a week or more). During the times when you’re apart, you keep in touch frequently and regularly via phone and/or email.
8. There is no game-playing. He doesn't wait several days before contacting you after a date. He doesn't run hot and cold, or fade in and out of your life. You don't go through each day wondering if you're ever going to see or hear from him again. He doesn't play mind games with you or leave you guessing as to where things stand.
If all 8 of these things are happening consistently, then it's time for you and your partner to remove yourselves from the dating pool and start dating each other exclusively!
Now I want to hear from you. How do you decide when it's time to date someone exclusively? Have you ever gone exclusive with a guy too soon? Please leave a comment below and share your thoughts and ideas.